Some Reflective Thoughts

During the first weeks of this course, while we were reading some of the critical articles, I was getting all tongue-tied trying to make point (as I so often do) and said that I like reading long poems more than a shorter one, but I didn’t explain any further. I remember saying to myself, “Wow, Alison, way to sound like a suck up! You should blog about what you meant by that…” but that’s as far as it went until now.

When I was in middle school/early high school I went through a novel in verse phase. My favorite author was Sonya Sones. Her book What My Mother Doesn’t Know totally got me hooked on books of verse all connected into one story. While the book is full of stories of teenage love and angst, and really isn’t anything like most of what we read this semester, it did start my love affair with verse.

Now at this stage in my life, with all the academic reading I have to do (combined with all the children’s books I read in the education department), I appreciate the swiftness and flow of verse. What I love about long poems, is that I can read many of them in one sitting, but they have more meat than a shorter poem. I stand by my statement of liking long poems more than shorter poems because there’s more to dig in to and try to relate to. With a shorter poem, if you miss the meaning of one stanza, you’ve lost out on a big chunk of the poem. With a long poem, there is a bigger picture, and you don’t have to understand every single part of it to get something meaningful from it. Long poems also give readers more of a chance to find something they can relate to. With their length, there are more opportunities for something to really jump out at the reader and grab them.

While I’m ready for this paper to be over, I have really enjoyed this class and its subject. Thanks for a great semester, everyone!

Tags: , , ,

2 Responses to “Some Reflective Thoughts”

1. malimcm says:

Haha yep, I read the one from the guy’s perspective as well. And any other books by Sones I could get my hands on. Glad I wasn’t alone in this!

2. Claire says:

Okay, first of all, OH MY GOD I totally/secretly read What My Mother Doesn’t Know multiple times when I was in high school. And the one from the dude’s perspective too. Second of all, I totally agree with you, there’s something so satisfying about being able to have a prolonged journey-esque experience with something that’s usually so brief as poetry 🙂