Schweenism in American Long Poems

Sexuality in American Long Poems has a lot to do with identity, especially in Walt Whitman’s Song of Myself. There are also fantastic penis or sexual references within the Graham and D.H., which I found very interesting. As I said before in the last post, I apologize for the outburst of schween in class. Though I have got your attention about sexuality. I would like for you to talk the opportunity to further explain the sexuality or sexual identity of American Long Poems and how this effects our view of the poetry genre.

3 Responses to “Schweenism in American Long Poems”

1. Kristina Tkac says:

hahaha i love this so much. I told my friends 🙂

2. Samantha Worman says:

Good job connecting this to class, who knew it would work and that our pre-class conversations would e such a hit! I think there is a HUGE focus on sexuality and gender in a lot of our poets. I am focusing on H.D for my paper and I’ve learned a ton about her identity as a woman and her lovers. Also is was obviously present in Whitman with his love for those young boys 😉
    You earned that dollar.

3. Gwendolyn says:

I, too, am intrigued by the schween. The sexual presence in most, if not all, of the poems we have read this semester have something—if not everything—to do with sexuality. At first I thought this was weird or unusual but I thought back to Whitman and considered how our sexuality shapes our identity and how identity is painstakingly obviously a theme of our poems, if not ALL poetry.

Also, just about everyone is obsessed with sex. Even the celibate fuss over it, or the lack thereof.

Sexuality in poetry is synonymous with identity in poetry.

long or short.
    but definitely…looong.