As for the Lingering Issues

Professor Scanlon in response to your post, you are most certainly welcome and I thought maybe I could help clarify the poem for the class! I made up this little outline of the main characters/ plots throughout the novel to help everyone understand what I understand! (Please Professor/classmates if any of this is incorrect or misleading feel free to criticize!) The article I read is an analysis and contains amazing descriptions of the characters/plots. I used this website to aid my story! This story is not meant to be highly educated nor difficult to understand so hope it helps! As an introduction, Scott begins to explain, “Omeros takes its name from the Greek name for the poet Homer. The poem draws parallels with both Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey. The principle characters in the poem include Achille, Hector, and Helen. Achille and Hector are fishermen on the island of St. Lucia. Helen is a beautiful young woman, whose lovers are Achille and Hector (Scott 1).” The first main plot is the relationship between Helen (the very pretty one) and Achille and Hector, the fishermen. We follow the breakup of Achille and Helen, Helen’s moving in with Hector, Hector’s switch from fisherman to cabbie, Helen’s attempts to find work. Then on top of all of that Achille is also suffering over the loss of Helen. Then in the book we follow Achille as he starts his journey, as he makes a dream return to West Africa, and as he celebrates the St. Stephan’s day festival. Eventually, we discover about Hector’s death in a crash. Then right after about Helen’s pregnancy, and her return to Achille. 
The second plot I feel is equally as important involves Major Plunkett and his wife Maud (a more independent character). The Major decides to write a local history in part as a tribute to Helen’s beauty. We learn of Maud’s desire to return to Ireland, her preparations for her death, and the Major’s eventual mourning for her loss. At one point the Major and Hector confront each other. The third, involves the wound of Philoctete. He is associated with Ma Kilman, who runs a local bar, and Seven Seas, a blind bard-like figure. Philoctete’s wound is eventually healed by and African woman, Ma Kilman, who uses her tribal ways to save him. The last plot involves Walcott himself as the narrator. We follow his own attempt to come to grasps with his failed marriage and his journey. We see Walcott meet the ghost of his father twice in the long poem. Once in St. Lucia and once in North America! In Book Five, “It describes the poet’s travels to Portugal, Italy, England, Ireland, and back to New England. He travels to the Great Plains of North America, looking through the window of an airplane at the clouds and at the landscape of the Dakotas. He returns to Boston, and tries to get a taxi, but several taxis pass by and refuse to stop, though they are empty. He walks to the harbor, and looks at the skyscrapers (Scott 1).” This shows a glimpse of how he was feeling along his adventure and the way he interacted with the lands (example: staring at the skyscrapers). In Scott’s quote, we as readers follow Walcott on his journeys to North America, where he encounters the ghost of Catherine Weldon, Europe, where he visits Lisbon, London, Dublin, and the Mediterrean, and his return to St. Lucia, where he makes a dream visit to the underworld. That’s pretty much all I got and I know there is a lot of connections to Shakespeare (mainly) and other incredible authors however the notes above are what I believe to be the main story line. I assumed that you knew who the characters where roughly in this outline and if you do not then I can also explain maud and Hector and all of them if need be! This does NOT mean however, that I believe this is the point of Omeros. I think Walcott embarks on a lot of forms, genres, characters, and stories that I have yet to understand but that’s the beauty of it all. It would not be nearly as famous if we actually understood it all!

Source

Scott, Alex. “Derek Walcott’s Omeros, and the Significance of the River of Ancestry.” Queequeg’s Crossing. N.p., 2000. Web. 24 Mar. 2013.