Mary

our_lady_of_sorrowsFollowing our discussion in class today about the many depictions of Mary, one of my favorites is Our Lady of Seven Sorrows— also, another reference to the number 7. The Seven Sorrows are events in the life of the Blessed Virgin which are popular in Catholic devotional prayers and often depicted in art:
1. The Prophecy of Simeon
2. The Flight into Egypt
3. The Loss of the Child Jesus in the Temple
4. Mary Meets Jesus Carrying the Cross
5. The Crucifixion
6. Mary Receives the Dead Body of Her Son
7. The Burial of Her Son and Closing of the Tomb

Tags: , , , , , ,

One Response to “Mary”

1. khenion02 says:

The artwork that you mentioned brings back many memories of Catechism School. I had to do a project on a saint, which I was to be named when I got confirmed. But, unfortunately my school work got in the way of me ever being confirmed with the Catholic Church. Mary was to be my patron saint. I actually had to research the life of Mary and I looked at a lot of the art work we discussed. The number seven actually shows up in the bible a lot more often than you think, for example, there were seven demons possessing the farmer that Jesus saved and transferred them into the swine. The seven sorrows of Mary is another, which you had just mentioned and the more knowledgeable seven deadly sins.