I HAVE A QUESTION?!

I know we were assigned to read the introduction starting on page 17 but I also read the very beginning of the introduction. On page 6 it refers to him enrolling as a graduate student in philosophy (interesting) at Harvard. Then a line or two down it says that he took courses which led him to create some of the images in the Wasteland. I know the poem contains several images like water and death but how do the courses relate? I could understand some type of religion class perhaps or maybe one or two philosophy classes but I am just curious what he is describing here. If anyone knows? đŸ™‚ thank you!

p.s. If this is confusing I can try and re-word it!

ALSO, I wish we could just like things like fb haha

Tags: ,

2 Responses to “I HAVE A QUESTION?!”

1. Kristina Tkac says:

Okay perfect thank you so much Heidi! I re-read parts of it and it makes way more sense with what you said. I see how he truly incorporates religion and philosophy in his poetry. Its very interesting and I often question similar thoughts myself.

2. Heidi says:

Kristina,
    I think that section of the intro. specifically refers Eliot’s study of Indian and Buddhist philosophy, especially the Upanishads. Philosophy and religion go hand in hand— questioning our existence or the existence of god, and trying to answer those questions.